To get the longest life and preserve the beauty of your natural stone, follow these simple tips:
- Coasters- Use coasters under all glasses, particularly those containing alcohol or citrus juices.
- Trivets- While many stones can withstand heat, the use of trivets or mats is recommended.
- Dust Mopping- Dust mop interior floors frequently using a clean non-treated dry dust mop. Sand, dirt and grit are abrasive and can damage natural stone.
- Mats/rugs- Mats or area rugs inside and outside an entrance will help to minimize the sand, dirt and grit that may scratch the stone floor. Be sure that the underside of the mat or rug is a slip resistant surface.
- Vacuum cleaners- If used, be sure the metal or plastic attachments or the wheels are not worn as they can scratch the surface of some stones.
- Spills- Blot the spill with a paper towel immediately. Don’t wipe the area, it will spread the spill. Flush the area with water and mild soap and rinse several times. Dry the area thoroughly with a soft cloth. Repeat as necessary.
- Clean stone surfaces with a neutral cleaner, stone soap, or a mild liquid dishwashing detergent and warm water.
- Similar to any item cleaned in your home, an excessive concentration of cleaner or soap may leave a film and cause streaks. Follow manufacturer recommendations.
- Use a clean rag mop on floors and a soft cloth for other surfaces for best results.
- Rinse the surface thoroughly after washing with the soap solution and dry with a soft cloth.
- Change the rinse water frequently.
- In the bath or other wet areas, soap scum can be minimized by using a squeegee after each use. To remove soap scum, use a non-acidic soap scum remover or a solution of ammonia and water (about 1/2 cup ammonia to a gallon of water). Frequent or over-use of an ammonia solution may eventually dull the surface of some stone types.
- In outdoor pool, patio or hot tub areas, flush with clear water and use mild bleach solution to remove algae or moss.
- Many suppliers offer products used for stone cleaning.
- Products containing lemon, vinegar or other acids may dull or etch calcareous stones.
- Scouring powders or creams often contain abrasives that may scratch certain stones.
- Many commercially available rust removers (laundry rust stain removers, toilet bowl cleaners) contain trace levels of hydrofluoric acid (HF). This acid attacks silicates in addition to other minerals. All stones, including granite and quartzite, will be attacked if exposed to HF.
- Do not mix ammonia and bleach. This combination creates a toxic and lethal gas.
Professional Stone Cleaning in Houston, Texas
The natural stone professionals at Modern Stone Care have been offering the best professional stone cleaning in Houston for years. Our team specializes in natural stone flooring services. We offer floor cleaning, polishing, honing, sealing, and restorative services to our clients who want affordable quality for their home or business. While we are open to servicing several different types of stones, flooring, counters, and in shower installations, we have a focus on Limestone, Granite, Travertine, Marble, and Slate materials. If you are in need of having your stone or tile and grout flooring services, contact us today!
Natural stone flooring has many vulnerabilities that make it easily damaged. Often times other floor cleaning companies come in and treat these natural stone floors the same way that they would treat other floors with no attention to the stone’s particular needs. When you want to protect your natural stone and avoid causing damage to your surfaces, our team can help. We provide a wide range of high quality natural stone services in Houston. Reach out to us today to learn more about the services we offer and how we can help you preserve your natural stone surfaces.
Natural Stone Cleaning in Houston TX
At Modern Stone Care, our team of highly knowledgeable technicians specialize in the restoration, cleaning, polishing, and sealing of all-natural stone surfaces. This includes flooring, countertops, outdoor pool coping, and more. We work hard to ensure your natural stone maintains its beautiful and vibrant appearance for as long as possible. When it comes to the care of your delicate natural stone surfaces, leave it to the professionals at Modern Stone Care.
Modern Stone Care
970 Bunker Hill Rd
Houston, TX 77024
Google Business Listing